Game Organizers and Volunteers
HammerCon relies on volunteers to organize games and keep logistics running smoothly. In return, volunteers get perks, free entry, community admiration, and eternal gratitude!
New for 2012, all volunteers get a HammerCon t-shirt (amazing! astounding! collectible!)
Those who volunteer for 12+ hours over the course of the weekend (that's 3x standard 4-hour slots, if you're organizing games) also get a free weekend pass ($40 value).
Most of our volunteers provide the core game programming for HammerCon. The nature of what you'll be doing is dependent on the kind of game you're organizing, but it's much the same as organizing a game at home, at your community group (like the Hammer Games Monthly Game Night), or at your Local Friendly Game Store:
- Roleplaying Game: Come well prepared, ideally with an original or not-well-known scenario/module if the game uses those. Provide pre-generated player characters if at all possible. Provide player aids and cheat sheets if available, and have some spare dice / cards / chicken bones on hand if your game requires players to have these. If your game requires a Game Master, you're that person.
- Board Game: Bring the game. Teach the rules. Check the BoardGameGeek website ahead of time to see if there are any erratas, FAQs, or cheat sheets you can print out. You can play the game yourself as well, of course.
- Card game: See board game. If the game is collectible, and you're not running a tournament where players are expected to bring their own decks, have a few spare well-constructed decks on hand to lend to newcomers during the game.
- Miniature Game: See board game. If the game uses customized armies and you're not running a tournament, have a few prebuilt armies on hand to lend to newcomers during the game. Due to space and setup requirements, space is limited for larger miniature tournaments.
- Live-Action Roleplaying Game: Due to the typically elaborate requirements for these games, please contact the events organizer and let them know what you need. Due to space and setup requirements, space is limited for these types of events.
- Tournaments of any type: Whether sanctioned or unofficial, organizing a tournament requires a lot of buy-in from you. The right amount of space needs to be set aside in the right configuration, specific materials may be required, tournament rules have to be watertight, and prizes may need to be sourced. If you're considering running a tournament requiring three or more tables, contact the events organizer and let us know, and we'll work out the details with you. We do not accept tournaments with separate entry fees; any possible prize support must be sourced via donations.
To submit a game for consideration, use our form here.
If you don't want to organize games, you can still volunteer for HammerCon in other ways. Here are a few:
- Game registration and information desk: This entails managing the game sign-up sheets, providing information on the games on offer, making suggestions for games to play, ensuring organizers are present and ready to rock, directing people to their tables, recruiting players for games that aren't full, and generally making sure everyone's having an excellent time. This type of support is needed at all times.
- Convention registration desk: Registering the unregistered, checking off the preregistered, handing out registration packages, providing general information and assistance. Support is needed mostly on Saturday and Sunday AM.
- Game marketplace desk: Handling auction sheets and merchandise. Collecting when auction periods are up and paying out to sellers. Support is needed during auction hours, which will be announced at a later date.
- General help: Anything which doesn't fit into the previous categories. Liaising with hotel staff to ensure rooms are maintained; checking in with vendors and artisans to ensure all is well; reconfiguring tables and chairs when necessary; making the occasional coffee run; covering any area that needs extra covering. Support is needed throughout the convention, especially during the busier times.
Volunteer positions are limited. If you're interested in volunteering, please contact us directly.